Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year

I hope everyone had a fun and safe New Years last night. We got pizza and then Derrik put Ryder to bed while the girls went and saw the new Chipmunks movie. We made it home just in time to see the ball drop and then called it a night. My parents are hosting a New Years party tonight so we will be celebrating then :)

2009 was a crazy year for our family. I'd have to say the top things that come to mind for me when I think of the past year would have to be watching my little mean learn so many things, surgery, and moving! We moved from Massachusets, to Florida for just over a month for spring training, to North Carolina for about three months for baseball season, back to Florida for the start of Derrik's rehab after his surgery for about two months, and then out to Arizona for the rest of Derrik's rehab due to the Reds relocating. Before I met Derrik I never would have thought I could do it. Packing at a moments notice, living in places that are barely furnished, putting my baby to sleep in the strangest places due to the lack of a room... none of that mattered though as long as we got to be together as a family. Throughout this year I have found myself asking many times where "home" was. Is home back where all of our stuff is and my family lives now in Cape Cod? Is home where I grew up in Florida? Is home the place we spend most of our time at the moment in Arizona? The only thing that truly matters to me is that our family is together... we can survive anywhere as long as we have each other :) Corny yes, but true!

Although at the moment this surgery feels like a disaster in regards to Derrik's career as a baseball player, it feels like such a blessing when it comes to our time as a family. This surgery has allowed Derrik to be home around Ryder so much more then if he would have been traveling with the team this year. Any other year won't matter as much as the milestones won't be passing by so quickly. Derrik got to be there for everything with Ryder, and I truly count my blessings for that.

As for 2010, our first half will be spent in Arizona being patient with the second half of Derrik's rehab. Then hopefully back to all the crazy moving that baseball season can offer a player and his family!

For now though, I am going to enjoy my last day in Cape Cod with my family. It has been such a great month being "home" with all of them. It is going to be awful to leave tomorrow knowing we won't be back for quite some time. I'll be pushing a visit from them big time now though! Tomorrow we will be heading to Derrik's "home" in Pennsylvania to spend a couple days and celebrating a late Christmas with them, and then on Wednesday Ryder and I will fly "home" to Arizona and Derrik will take off with the car and pets making it back a few days after us.

Happy New Years!

2 comments:

Mama Fish said...

You are so right... your hubby was there for those awesome milestones, and that just can't be replaced! I have to agree home is where you are all together. I know it is for us, even in a hotel room on New Year's Eve. :-)

Connor & Mama said...

Oh My Gosh! Just read your post on my blog! Yes...sounds like you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about! I am thankful you are done flying (for a while I hope!). God bless you for enduring long flights with a toddler! You are SUPER MOM! xoxox