Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My Love/Hate Relationship

Let me tell you a little bit about my love/hate relationship with skiing. I think if I had to pick between the two I hate it, but there is a little part of me that does love it.

What in the world makes a person want to leave a nice cozy warm place and go out into the cold, put on extremely uncomfortable shoes, bundle up in a bunch of clothes that always fail to stay in the right place, carry a bunch of equipment that is impossible to handle all to only put this equipment on to try to get to a stupid lift that will only make you colder as the wind blows all around you while you are up in the air!!! Who loves this?!?! Apparently my family does! They call this "vacation". Last time I checked vacation meant being in the Carribbean, on a cruise, or in Hawaii all while having a fruity alcoholic beverage in my hand getting a tan in some nice weather with crystal clear water around!

So yesterday we left for our "vacation" to New Hampshire for our ski vacation. I never really put up much of a fight because I love having my family all under one roof that isn't our own. One... because my parents house is HUGE and everyone is always spread out all over doing their own thing. I love being trapped in a little condo and having to spend time together. Two... because it takes away a ton of responsibility of laundry, the business, pets, and so many other things that take up so much time. We get to enjoy each other :) Another reason I love it is because their is always those few rare moments in skiing where you can ignore the numbing pain in your body and just really enjoy the thrill of flying down a mountain and taking in the view. A huge plus on the skiing side is i'm pretty decent at it and don't really have the fear factor on my side... Thank God!

Soo anyhow... we went skiing. It was two degrees today with a wind chill factor making it feel like negative nineteen. I complained all the way from the car to the top of the mountain about how I "wasn't skiing" to my husband. He just continued to help me adjust my equipment and tell me we'll have fun all the way. I know he loves me because I would have slapped myself silly and told myself to get a grib. He was so sweet about it all and even told me how much he enjoyed being at the top of the mountain with me today... love him :)

We all made it out alive. I always get so nervous with Derrik out there because he can't afford to hurt himself. My brother took a pretty serious digger today. Fell hard enough my uncle said everyone in the chair lift made the "oh God!" sound from above. We think he might have a little concussion, but he's a little on the extreme side when it comes to sports. Like my mom said, "If he has a concussion it won't be his first and probably won't be his last." Anyone who knows him knows this is true. We've woken him up to check on him quite a few times and he is eating as I type. He'll be fine :)

Ryder spent the day in the daycare. He said bye to us and walked right in. I was a little sad he left us so easily, but I think all the toys were just too exciting! I checked on him after about two hours. They said he was doing great, was playing, and had just ate. I didn't let Ryder see me, but I saw him... walking around with his paci in his mouth! He never has it except in bed or at naptime. I wrote that in the notes, but he must have talked those daycare ladies into it. He's a little charmer, or it just shut him up! HAHA They said he had a rough afternoon. He wouldn't nap, but who would in a bright room with a playpen in the middle of the room. He crashed as soon as we got home for a late nap and appears to be unharmed from his first long daycare experience. I think mommy survived it too :)
Due to the extremely cold weather outside and my "I hate skiing" attitude I took zero pictures today. My husband decided to have my uncle take this one of us at the top of the mountain. Just before this picture such a huge gust of wind came whipping through that it blew me backwards quite a bit. It was ridiculous! I still had a blast going down the hill though... like I said... It's a love/hate relationship :)
Derrik and I at the top of the mountain

1 comment:

Cozart's said...

I think if the Red's saw this picture they wouldn't be too happy!!! But y'all def. look cute!!! Miss y'all!!!!!!!!!