Saturday, July 31, 2010
Here are some pictures of Ryder enjoying the rides....
On the way home Ryder saw me looking at the pictures on the camera and kept saying cheese.... so I snapped a few since it's not too often he's willing to look at the camera and say cheese!
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
When we get back from being out we've just been sitting in the car for 10-15 minutes, or until Ryder breaks from his trance of watching the Cars DVD and realizes we're just sitting there. The thought of lugging up groceries (the only place we're ever really getting back from is Wal-Mart... which we do daily because we don't want to buy too much and lug it all up the stairs)is awful. Especially when Ryder says "walk" the second the car shuts off. It is such a process getting up the stairs with him. Usually one of us will walk ahead and put whatever we have inside then come back down so the next person can take their load up. It seriously takes him f-o-r-e-v-e-r! He feels the need to inspect everything the whole way up. Luckily he doesn't walk down much because the idea of going "bye-bye" is much more exciting. Speaking of which... how great is bribery? Ryder's and my realtionship has grown leaps and bounds since he has started to understand this concept. Something as simple as him not wanting to go down for a nap and me saying "but we can go bye-bye when you wake up" or "daddy will be home from work when you wake up" always does the trick. We brush our teeth before the pool because "we can go to the pool if Mommy can brush your teeth" really does the trick. His teeth are cleaner then they have ever been. He also really loves gummy snacks right now. I try to keep it to under two packs a day, but they are great when I can't come up with something better to bribe him with. Speaking of food... my boys love sharing cereal right now. I'm not a huge fan of Ryder eating sugary cereal with milk in a bowl... sugar and messes first thing in the morning at not my thing. He actually does good with the milk part of the process. Plus it's sweet when I kiss both my boys in the morning, and they both smell like cereal marshmellows.
Time for a new paragraph? Ryder is big into switches right now. He's tall enough to figure them out, and i'm so over turning lights off only for his little fingers to flip them right back on behind me. The other night we realized he turned our AC from Auto to ON and it ran all night. Today it was swealtering in here, and I realized he turned it off! Maybe he was trying to save money after he left it running the other night?! I think it's time to find a way to lock that thing up or at least get tape over the switches!!!
Chloe is doing good back at my parents house. I miss her so so much! She was my baby before Derrik and Ryder and is still my cuddle partner at night. I know she is being loved on back at my parents, but I just wish she was here with us. Our cats are doing great too. They stay on the apartment side of my parents house which my grandparents are staying in for the summer. Unfortunately though we think we might be finding a new home for them. It's not fair for my mom to have to keep up with their constant shedding and litter box changes when she has pets of her own to take care of, and it's just too much to bring them back out here to the west coast. We'd have to find a way to get them back when Derrik was healthy and it would be hard to figure out what to do with them over the holidays. If anyone knows of someone looking for two sweet cats.... let me know!
My mom just sent me this picture down below from the Chatham A's game. Derrik is still in the book with his record setting 12 saves the summer we met. Have I mentioned before that he also had a 0.00 ERA that summer? Plus he met me.... those were the good old days! HA
This is the smile on my little man's face when his Uncle Scott texted him pictures of Mater and Lightning McQueen from Disneyland! You would have thought he saw them in real life... the boy loves his cars!
Saturday, July 24, 2010
Ryder and I have been spending a lot of time down at our new pool at the apartment we are renting. He wakes up every morning asking for "water". I think we have him so confused this summer between the beach, the pond, and the pool that he's decided that they all have water and just calls it that. Every single time we go to the pool he impresses me more and more with what he can do. Today he started jumping in on his own. He has been jumping with the assitance of my finger since we've been here and finally gave in today.
You'll notice in the first video how I make him put his toes all the way to the edge of the pool. I've spent the last week of my life explaining to him how he needs to be at the edge and how he needs to jump out (and show him with my hand where to aim) so we can avoid him banging his head. We finally master this whole process only for a father with his two kids who were much older then Ryder to come down to swim. I notice them standing about twenty feet from the edge of the pool saying "ready... set...go!" and they run and jump into the pool making a huge splash. Ryder's eyes lit up!!!!! Of course he felt the need to immitate them over and over....
Running and Jumping
Oh well.... I tried to play the safe card, but he is awfully cute with how excited he gets to make his little run to the pool!
Thursday, July 22, 2010
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
I took lots of video footage of Ryder over the last month or so with Derrik not being around. I am so greatful to be able to take video of Ryder and send it to Derrik within minutes to share what we are up to with him.
Video #1: This is Ryder swimming at the pond our last day there. He has improved drastically even since we've been out in Arizona. I'll be sure to get some new video soon!
Video #2: Ryder dancing after the band concert one night. We had hit the candy store on the way home, and he was wired!!!
Video #3: Playing in the sprinklers at my parents house
Video #4: Ryder swinging from a bar above the slide at the park. The next day he started hanging off the bar on the playset at my parents house and is quite the pro now.
Video #4: We were at Hailey's end of the school year awards program, and I was trying to occupy Ryder with a bag of goldfish. He had no clue what was going on and freaks out when he hears the first applause!
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Monday, July 19, 2010
- He talks! Ryder has babbled for a while and said a handful of key words, but was never much of a talker. At some point in the last month or so he has transformed into this crazy talker. No full sentences yet, but he does repeat everything and can put together a couple words at a time when he really wants to. Of course this requires everyone to start really watching what they are saying. A certain four letter S word was repeated over and over after Mommy said it one day by accident. He can call his Mimi, Papa, Auntie Ally, Auntie Hailey, and even complete strangers by name, but refuses to call him Grammy and Grandpa anything! I think it is a big game to him now to just scream DAAA at them and hope they answer. One of my favorite words he says is nasty. Whenever I am cleaning his stinky diapers he tells me "Nasty!" while he holds his nose... followed by a P.U.!
- He says I Love You :) It's more of a "Luv You", but I don't care. He says it when hes being really sweet when I'm holding him and when we got to bed. He tells me "bye", "good night", and "luv you"
- He is quite the demanding little guy these days. He will tell you "come on", "move", or "go" in a mean little voice if you aren't doing what he wants. Imagine how my mom felt when she was crying at the airport saying bye to him, and he pushed her telling her to "go".... real nice Ryder!!! He likes to cut good-byes short :)
- He knows the Reds logo! Brilliant I tell ya! He refuses to learn colors or letters, but I pull out a Reds baseball bag to start packing the other day and he points to the logo and says "baseball". He can learn when he wants to... i'm sure i'll fight this the rest of my life with him.
- He drinks out of big boy cups now. We haven't completely ditched the sippy cups, but when sitting the table he can have a regular cup and can sip right out of it.
- He loves the big boy swing. No more baby swings for my big boy! By the time we left my parents house we were pushing him as high as he could go and he loved it! He would drag me out into the back yard to go on the swings so many times a day. I should have just embraced it and enjoyed the nice weather because we won't be doing much swinging out here in Arizona for a while!
- Ryder has always been a baby who loves to sleep in his crib. We appreciate that he loves his bed, but sometimes it's a little difficult when your on the go. While at my parents Ryder's schedule wasn't also the most important thing going on and many days he got a short afternoon nap (i'd wake him up so he wouldn't be going to bed late... i like my evenings!) or no nap at all. I love nothing more then to see the sweet little man sleeping so there were many photo ops :)
(like I said... this is not normal for Ryder.. he has never gotten up and fallen asleep with us in the morning)
- The dips have lead to him eating a vegetable!!! Ryder ate a serving of carrots two nights in a row since we've been in Arizona... thank you ranch dressing!
- I can't tell you how much Ryder adores his Aunties! What a blessing it is to have two younger sisters. When this momma was out of steam for the day I could go take a breather while they played with him for a while. Even when they didn't want to a quick "he might not be here much longer to play with" always did the trick :)
- He loves to say grace at dinner. I'm not sure why we haven't done this before I went to visit my parents, but we just hadn't. Growing up we said grace before dinner every night, and Ryder got such a kick out of it. The problem is he doesn't get that you do it just before you eat. He wants to do it over and over again throughout the meal. If someone doesn't put there fork down, fold their hands, and say grace he will call them out and make them do it on their own. It is so cute hearing him say "a-men" at the end of it. Plus we now look super religious out at restaurants!!!
-Ryder suddenly has to have a napkin at every meal. He can't stand to have food on his face and always wants to wipe it off. Not sure why this is important, but it's really cute watching him wipe off his face and getting no where near the stuff that is on his face.
-Ryder finds the letter D everywhere now. He points to the his name above his crib in The Cape when he wakes up, finds it on books, can find a fridge magnet, but has zero interest in learning any new letters. He thinks well be impressed over and over again with his ability to just find the D.
-Our friend Carrie offered an old wooden train set that was her sons a long time ago, and Ryder fell in love. I'm not sure why I had never introduced him to trains before, but he's always looking for trains and saying "choo-choo".
-Ryder has discovered the world of back rubs. He loves to lay on his belly and say "rub". He's also getting pretty good at giving them out too :)
-We are venturing into the world of potty training. Is Ryder ready... NO! I'm not sure he realizes when he's going yet. He knows when he has gone and tells me "stinky", "nasty", or "p.u.". He has interest in the toilet and likes to watch us go. We have been talking lots about the potty and how big boys pee and poop go into the potty. He loves the idea of it so I figured we mine as well get the potty seat. We let him pick between the baseball and cars one (he chose cars) and got a stool. He loves to tell us "POTTY!" and we all run to the bathroom, get the stool out, and wait..... wait some more.... wait some more... when he tells us "all done". We have not had a succesful potty yet, but it's only been two days. We've been pretty relaxed about it (and I plan to stay that way... he's not even two but is just showing a lot of interest). Every time he's on the potty I tell him if he can pee or poop into the water he can have M&Ms (we have a special bag waiting in the pantry). I also tell him every time we are changina diaper that if we get it into the potty next time we can have M&Ms. He never whines for them and seems to realize he has to do something first to earn them. I'm sure there will be many posts dedicated to the potty training of our little man and this is just the beginning!
I did let him put big boy undies on the other night. He had just run out of the bathroom after an attempt on the toilet and peed all over the carpet. I figured he had gotten it out of his system and wanted to see his cute undies on him. Not but fifteen minutes later there was a stream of pee going through his undies onto the floor... they have been stored away in the closet ever sense.
-Ryder found a new love this summer... the pond! The pond (not even sure of the name... we just call it "the pond")has been a favorite of mine for five years now. We started going there the summer I met Derrik, and it's is by far my favorite place to go in the world. Last summer was a disaster with Ryder crawling. We only made it once and it ended with a crying baby and a frustrated momma. This summer is a whole other story. He literally stayed occupied there for hours upon hours. He would play in the sand, swim with anyone willing to take him out, play on the boat ramp, throw rocks, help the girls catch frogs, chase after the momma ducks and her ducklings, and light up when he would hear the ice cream truck coming!!! I hope we can have many many summer spent right there on that very pond while Ryder grows up :)
Saying hi to the ducks