Thursday, December 30, 2010

2010...2011

The other day I asked Derrik "Where do you think life will take us this time next year?"... His answer "Who knows"... Kind of exciting right? I often wonder what it's like to know that most likely we'd be living in the same house, same town, same jobs, and have the same group of friends in the following year. There are days I long to have that life, but most days I know i'd probably go stir crazy. I know a big part of me thrives off the inconsistency in our life. It keeps it fun, new, and fresh!
2010 was a year of surprises for sure. It was a year of growing for us, decisions, and growing our family. Obviously this pregnancy is my #1 memory of 2010. I could have possibly anticipated that happening in 2010, but wasn't entirely sure Derrik was on board. A close #2 in memories from 2010 (I wanted to say #1, but really is anything more important then your baby?) is Tommy John surgery #2. I remember on rare occcasion the "could you ever imagine having this surgery twice", "we'd never survive another 12 month rehab", or "living in Arizona another year would be awful" conversations. I never EVER imagined it would actually happen. I will NEVER forget the day Derrik called telling me he needed the surgery again. Definiately a stand out in my year, or the tears I felt building in my eyes as they cut into his arm almost a year after the first one. We've moved on from that though. It was a firm decision in the realization it was a good time to grow our family. We have made relationships we have out in Arizona stronger, we have learned to call it home, and learned that on rough days we just need the three of us to be happy in this big world.
I have also learned to embrace technology. This is the year I think I truly realized I have friendships all over this country with a select group of AMAZING girls! They are girls I know from high school, from when I raced BMX, from baseball, and even more recently during our time in Arizona. I might not be able to introduce them all to each other, have lunches with them, plan girls nights out as a group, or have play dates in big groups, but they are all so special to me. They are all part of a huge support system that keeps me going on a daily basis. I've learned hard to try to embrace this season of life, enjoy my time with them when I have it because it's precious, and to enjoy that technology lets me instantly see picture of their little ones at they are born at the hospital, see pictures of their new homes, or even be there for them when they are having a bad day. What a great invention technology is!! I'm not sure how i'd survive without it.... or these friends :)
As for 2011... I'm excited for you!!! I'm excited for the countdown to lots of friends starting to get ready for spring training in a little over a month, to have days at the pool with girlfriends, to cookouts with our friends, to snuggling littles ones that have been born the past couple months, to Ryder being the center of attention to those that love and follow him when they can't be with him throughout the whole year thanks to this blog. I'm excited for my growing belly and our little one on the way, and i'm excited for summer. I'm excited to see where this unpredictable life will take us. I'm excited to see if Derrik's arm will come back healthy and amazing. Will we head to be with a Reds minor league team by the end of the baseball season? Will he get back in AA before the seasons end? Will he make it further then that? Will fall ball/winter ball be a possibility for us? Will we still be with the Reds planning our spring training 2012 this time next year? Will baseball even be part of our lives this time next year? Will it be over? Will we be enjoying an "off season" or starting a new season in our lives without baseball? Will we have to actually decide for ourselves where we want to live full time? Just thinking about it gets me SOOO excited!!!!
For now though... I have one more day left with my dad here in Cape Cod before he leaves for Florida for some work, five more days with my hubby here, and in one week Ryder and I head back to Arizona. I am going to enjoy every second of it because who knows where life will take us in the months to come. I'm very excited about it though :)

1 comment:

Paige said...

Next year will be such an exciting year for you and your family! Hope you have a wonderful New year!