Thursday, October 28, 2010

What Do WE Want...

SHORT STORY: We both want a girl

For those who want to know why or are bored and need a good blog to read.... here is our reasoning...

We have recently been asked a lot "What do you guys want?" as far as the sex of our second little one is concerned. I thought I had put it on the blog, but maybe I wasn't as detailed on the blog as I was in my own mind. So for everyone out there wondering... first and foremost we just want a healthy little baby! The sex is not the most important, but is probably one of the funnest parts of the pregnancy process. As I told my friend today, I'm the type who wants the pregnancy test to say "positive" and a second slot with the sex listed right next to it. It feels like an eternity waiting for friends to find out, with Ryder last time, and of course this time as well. Derrik doesn't want to know the sex. He thinks finding out at birth would be really cool. 1. He knows i'd probably divorce him if he made me wait (just kidding... kind of) and 2. I think he just says this to make me crazy and truly is excited for our appointment! Derrik likes to pretend nothing like that gets him excited... he's cool like that :)

Before Derrik and I faced the true reality of having a child and lived in a fantasy world, Derrik wanted lots of children. He won't admit to this now because I think the reality has altered his opinion so much. I was never set on a number, but knew I wanted more then one and probably no more then four (four being extreme!). I didn't care what order the sexes of our children came in, but wanted at least one girl. I didn't feel the need to have a little boy, but would have been thrilled and obviously am with Ryder! Derrik could care less about having a girl, and wanted a baseball team. Luckily we don't get to pick the sex!

Derrik and I can agree on one thing... All our children will be close in age. For those that don't know us well, I come from a family with me being the oldest (almost 26), a brother who is 24, and two sisters who are 12 and almost 11. Derrik comes from a family where he is the oldest as well at 25, he has a brother who is 22 (23? Sorry Tommy!), and two little brothers who are 6 (? on age again... close to six.. maybe 7... first grade) and a 4 year old. So we both have HUGE age gaps in our family! We both love our younger siblings with all our heart, wouldn't change a thing about our situation, BUT (a BIGGGG BUT) also know that we don't want to parent in two rounds. Both of our mother's love it and made crazy talk of having more after both of their 4th children, but we don't think we are cut out for it.

Soooooo.... What do we want? I guess i've only told you what we don't want :) Getting to the point... I would love if the 2nd baby was a GIRL. I'm not set on being done with kids, but would be bummed if the 2nd wasn't a girl, and then the 3rd wasn't a girl. (Side note... my in-laws would be equally bummed considering their 1st,2nd,3rd, and 4th kids were all boys, and now they have 1 boy grandchild). I love Ryder and love boys, but I want that mother/daughter relationship. I want what my mom and I have. I want a best friend. I want to plan weddings. I want to buy pretty bows and dresses. I want to talk boys. I want someone to go shopping with. Get it? So I just ask for one girl... just one, but we'll see. Maybe God has bigger plans for me! PLUS... this is what I WANT to have. I am still convinced #2 IS a boy.

Derrik would also like a girl. Pretty much because he told me if #2 is a girl we are done having kids. He's pretty firm in this decision, and I pretty much agreed simply because I want a girl. Two seems nice.... a boy and a girl. Do I think I could ever say "that's it, we're done, two is the limit" NO definitely not, but Derrik says we are definitley done if #2 is a girl. He is perfectly happy (and probably would prefer) that #2 would be a boy, but knows that if #2 is a boy that the pressure will be on for #3. I guess if #2 is a girl you'll have to keep reading for a few years to see who really wears the pants in this family. For all I know two could give me a run for my money, and i'll never think I want another baby ever again.

So there is a our opinion for those that have been wondering... three more weeks until we get our answer...

P.S.... It's so totally a boy!

3 comments:

~Rachel said...

I feel ya girl! I wanted a girl for #2 but God had other plans. And now, I wouldn't want it any other way. Girls are fun and dressing them up is a riot. I am sure in her teenage years, there will be many different riots in our household!
But, having my 2 boys first is just perfect! They are 22 months apart and live for the other. They are full of energy and love to do boy things. And because I don't always think like they do, they make me laugh so hard! And, they LOVE being able to go into the clubhouse with Daddy!
Now that we have our girl, she wonders why she can't go in.
So, whatever you are having, you are in for an adventure. 2 kids are fun and alot of work. But once you do 2, you could certainly do 3 or 4 or 5.

Tricia said...

I still think it's a girl...

Meant to be a mom said...

Haha, I liked the end where you said it will so totally be a boy :)

I feel the same way you do.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys for a girl but first and foremost a healthy baby :)